Saturday, April 18, 2009

IT SMELLS LIKE CHILDHOOD

what a day! It is Saturday and this day looks like spring! My kids got up this morning and before they could turn on the TV, they said bring on the shorts we are going to play road hockey. Hogan my oldest, who is known on the street as the King of Kensington, got on the phone and set up the game!

Having to do several things today one which was taking my mom to see my dad at the hospital. I did the unthinkable. I let my kids go up the street and play. Oh yes, I let my neighbors know I was going and told the kids to run to their house if need be, but I left them.

No sooner did I carry my moms possession up to dads room in the hospital when my cell phone rang. My youngest had had his feelings hurt and was on his way home - to NO ONE!! Yikes, full of fear ( the legacy of my ancestors) I ran from the hospital, leaving my parents one more thing to worry about and took off for home. Was he hit by a car, was he abducted, was he sitting at home by himself sobbing without his mommy - I repeated over and over to myself - bad mommy - bad mommy.

This is the state of where we are today, even my neurotic, over protective mother kicked me out of the house in the morning, and hoped not to see me again until 5 pm. Whether its the media, internet, urban myths, or whatever we are afraid to let our children run free. I mean we need moderation. Sure we don't want them to live on the streets but we need to let go a little. I know I am a good one to talk but when I got my kid was fine. What do you think are we too overprotective or are we justified in our neurosis?

No comments:

Post a Comment