Monday, April 13, 2009

EASTER HAD MANY EMOTIONS

I am a holidayaholic and nothing makes me happier than crafting, baking, event planning etc. It is what I love to do and it helps me with my other problem of procrastination. When I have real work to do or problems to deal with, a good holiday forces me to forget the important stuff and deal with the fun stuff.

This weekend started off with the best neighborhood easter egg hunt I have ever been to. About 20 families gathered at my friend Laurie's house. Earlier in the morning a couple of mothers hid the eggs and then starting at 9:30 the kids went crazy and hunted down the Easter Eggs.

The rest of the day was beautiful and that was a good thing because after that my emotions went on some type of roller coaster ride. Sure I went through the rest of the weekend with a smile on my face but I couldn't help feel a certain sadness as my family faced a different type of Easter away from our spring trip to Cape Breton. Having Dad in hospital for the holidays got the best of me. Mom was all about the what we used to do, my sister was dealing with her kids being too old for Easter festivities and my kids just seem to be in commercial Easter mode.

Church has always played a part in my Easter but not this year. It seems my faith is changing and like most things right now, the issue is way too complexed to deal with. On Saturday, Mom boiled some eggs for Dad to decorate but his hands seemed unusually affected by Parkinson's but he did the best he could. On Sunday after we went to some crazy Doggie Easter Egg Hunt in Point Pleasant, we headed down to the hospital. I held Dad's hands as his were warm from the overheated hospital and mine were cold from Nova Scotia's false spring. He is no longer my protector, our roles have changed and I am ok with that. It makes me sad though. I finished that day off with a great Easter supper with Jim and the kids - we ate, watched Masters Golf and then built a blanket fort. Easter was different, full of many emotions, but it was good. What I know is things are changing in my life and I need to accept it and ride that rollercoaster! How do you deal with change, what works for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment