Monday, March 23, 2009

THE OLIVE BRANCH

Family is very important to me. I have a very close family - I grew up with two parents who were in love and still are, and one sister who is my best friend and working partner. I spend most of my life trying to create that environment for husband and boys today! On the weekend, my sister and I met my 19 year old niece at a pub in downtown Halifax, and had a great time. On Sunday I hosted a small birthday celebration for my 17 year old nephew with all of the family on hand. My sister attended my son's hockey tournament on the weekend and shared in the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

On opposite ends of this story is my father who until recently hadn't spoken to his brother for almost 30 years. Both ended up in hospital in Halifax. An olive branch was extended by my cousin (my father's niece) and a couple of days later my uncle showed up in wheelchair to my fathers bedside. The things that had once splintered this relationship were no longer important anymore. What ties a family together is sometimes easily broken but only for the time it takes someone to connect it again. We love a good family reunion story, we need to be a part of a tribe, family, pack or posse. What connects your family? Have you ever been disconnected from your family, how did you make your way back?

No comments:

Post a Comment