Monday, March 30, 2009

THE UPS AND DOWNS OF LIFE

This weekend my kids played in medal rounds for basketball and hockey - it was one exciting weekend.

On the weekends, we visit my husband's mother at a nursing home about 10 minutes from where we live. Unfortunately, the boys were so busy with sporting events, Jim had to make the visit on his own. He came back after the visit with the news that his mom seemed to be failing.

We woke up yesterday morning to find out she had passed away in her sleep. We were shocked! This was a lady who had been through an unbelievably challenging life, suffering from severe depression and many other maladies. Our family walked through yesterday in somewhat of a daze, crying, laughing, reminiscing over the good times and bad times that made up my mother-in-laws life.

Kindly my sister offered to help me clean out her room at the nursing home . We decided we would do it, as I thought it would be easier for me than for my husband. Wow, was I wrong. As we walked down the halls of the nursing home, it seemed almost scary. We walked into her room and it appeared smaller without her there. We both agreed it shouldn't take long, but this small room had an unbelievable amount of memorabilia. After we packed her things, we turned off the lights and shut the door. She had been on this earth for 81 years and now she was gone. We then got back into my sister's van and drove to see my dad in hospital. We said few words which unusual for us. How do we pick ourselves up? What do we learn from such life experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment