Wednesday, March 25, 2009

YOUR INFLUENCE

As parents, the largest responsibility we have on our children is our influence. What is so amazing about children is how quick they catch onto things like languages - technology. It is what makes these little sponges so amazing, and what makes our jobs as mentors, parents, teachers, leaders, so vitally important. My parents were very involved in politics growing up, and so my first political speech was made standing on my desk in grade 3 in support of the provincial candidate they were working for at the time. Sitting around our dinner table, my parents would discuss everything from politics to sports, fashion to local gossip, homework to friends. Although they included us, it was their opinions which molded us. As we got older, others would share this job - our teachers, ministers, peers. It is then, my sister and I started to become people with our own opinions. After graduation from university, I moved home for awhile. I realized my opinions were taking on a life of their own. One morning my dad and I got in a heated argument about a social issue. As I stood staring him in the eye, I realized I was all grown up. My parents, leaders, teachers, peers had given me the tools, but I was to build my own opinions. What we do and say leaves a large imprint on our kids. We are not perfect but we must be prepared for the consequences of this responsibility. Who has influenced you for the better and what influences are you having on the children you interact with?

No comments:

Post a Comment